Sunday 24 December 2017

Luke 2:8-20 - An Ordinary Night


Merry Christmas everyone! I know I’m a day early, but I still think it’s safe to look into the Christmas story. And hoo boy, there’s a whole bunch of things we could look at. We could talk about the wise men and where they came from. We could talk about Mary and Joseph and how they found themselves on their way to Bethlehem. We could talk about there being no room at any inn, but how a kind innkeeper let Mary and Joseph stay in his stable.

We could talk about all of this, but then my word count would be through the roof. I’m sure you’ll all be hearing the Christmas story a bunch over the next few days (if you haven’t already), but I want to focus our attention on the shepherds. Or more specifically, the sheep.

So sit back with a nice cup of hot chocolate as we hear from a fuzzy little friend about what he experienced the day the Saviour of the world was born!
________________________

I know what you’re thinking. This looks just like any old hill. But I gotta tell you… I’ve been over these hills and everywhere and I’m positive that this spot right here has the best grass in all of Israel. I know it’s late and I should be sleeping right now, but I just had to have a little late night snack.

Hi! My name’s Beth. I’m named after a little town just down the road called Bethlehem. I’m part of Shepherd Morgan’s flock. Well, Shepherd Morgan and a few others. There’s Shepherd Dave and Shepherd Thomas and Shepherd Tracey. They’re good people these shepherds. They found us this grass. I hope we stay here a while.

We’re not a big flock. There’s maybe 20 of us, but I don’t mind. More grass for me this way. But with only 20 of us, it’s not like a whole lot of stuff happens. It can actually get kind of boring. Us 20 ordinary sheep with our ordinary old shepherds. I’m not saying I want a wolf to attack us or anything – heavens no! – but it’d be nice if maybe we met up with another flock soon. It’s always exciting when 2 flocks meet. Too bad Shepherd Morgan doesn’t like other people all that much…

Anyways, I probably shouldn’t keep you. I’m getting pretty full and should probably go back to bed, and….

WOAH!!! What’s that?

What do you mean what’s that? That bright shiny thing over there? It’s… I don’t know how to describe it… It’s beautiful and terrifying and…

Huh? Wh-why are my legs shaking? Well, what do you think?!? It’s night time! There isn’t supposed to be bright lights in the sky with people inside them! At least, I think it’s a person… It looks kind of like a person, but totally different. It has wings and…

And for that matter, what about the shepherds? What do you mean what do I mean? Look at them! They’re terrified. They’re all clumped together and holding on to each other. I’ve seen them take on bears before without this much fear. What in the world is happening?!?!?

Wait… I hear words… Is the light… speaking?

“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news. It will bring great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you. He is the Messiah, the Lord. Here is how you will know I am telling you the truth. You will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger” (Luke 2:11-12 NIrV).

A baby? One of those little humans? What’s He doing in a manger? That’s where cows eat! And what does the light mean, “Town of David?” The only town near here is Bethlehem! And this baby’s the Messiah? I’ve heard that word before. The shepherds have been waiting for some great king to save them. That king is a baby in a manger? Why isn’t He in a palace?

GAH!!! The light! It’s so bright I can’t even open my eyes. There must be hundreds of those bright things in the sky now!

“May glory be given to God in the highest heaven! And may peace be given to those h\He is pleased with on earth!” (Luke 2:14).

God? Those bright things are from God? They must be angels! I’ve heard the shepherds talk about angels before. They’re God’s special messengers, but I never expected to see one!

Wait… The light went away. Oh… It seems so dark, so empty without them around. I never realized how little light a campfire gave off. But for one moment there… It was like all of heaven was rejoicing over… something… Something wonderful!

Look! The shepherds are finally getting up. And they aren’t terrified anymore. They look… happy. Really happy!

“Those were angels!”
“The Messiah’s been born!”
“Down in Bethlehem? That’s just over there!”
“We have to go find him! Quick, gather the sheep. Let’s go to Bethlehem!

Gather the sheep, huh? How you gonna do that in the middle of the night? Oh… Wait… the light woke them all up… Aaaand everyone looks terrified! I gotta help the shepherds calm them down! Don’t worry everyone, it’s okay! There’s no fire, the world’s not ending! God has sent a Saviour. And we get to go to Bethlehem to see Him! Quickly now, follow the shepherds, quickly now!

Okay good… Everybody’s getting up and getting in line. But I still can’t believe it. Why would God appear to us? I know I wanted something out of the ordinary, but I never expected this! Oh, we’re moving now! I gotta catch up with my friends. See you down there!
________________________

Okay… Now I’m getting tired… That’s like the 50th stable we’ve stopped at tonight and we still haven’t found the baby the angels told us about. I get He’s important, but I really hope we find Him soon!

Wait... Is that Johnston’s baa? It is! Johnston found Him! I gotta get over there! Ooh, I hope the shepherds get the message. Sometimes I think they can’t understand us at all!... Okay good, they’re following.

I can’t wait to see the Messiah. I bet He has a crown and beautiful robes and servants all around him. The stable thing is weird – never heard of a king being born in a stable – but it must be one nice looking stable. I bet it’s a gold manger! I’m coming Johnston, I’m coming!

There it is. The stable… Alright, deep breathes now Beth. I know I’ve never been before royalty, but I’ll try to make a good impression. Just be cool...

Wait, this can’t be right… There’s no gold. There’s no servants. This is just an ordinary stable! Actually, it’s not even all that well put together. I think that’s a hole in the wall back there. I could probably sneak through it if I tried! Well, maybe if my wool was a little thinner. But still! Why would God let His Messiah be born here?

But this is exactly what the angels said. We would find a baby wrapped up in cloth and lying in a manger. From the looks of Shepherd Morgan’s face, we’re in the right spot. He can’t stop staring at the child. Wait, he’s about to say something to the baby’s mother…

“Is this… Him? Is this the newborn Messiah?” 

“Yes. This is Jesus. He will save our people from our sins. One day, at least. But how did you hear of Him? How did you know where to find us?

“There were these angels!” (Shepherd Tracey this time) “We were out in the fields when a whole bunch of them appeared in the sky and told us to find a child wrapped in cloth and lying in a manger.”

“Praise God!” (that’s the mother again!).

“I don’t know why He chose us, though.” (Shepherd Morgan again). “We’re nobodies. Why would God tell us?”

“Ha! Look around you!” (the mom again) “Does any of this seem ordinary? A baby born in a stable? Angels appearing in the sky? No… No matter how normal things may look around us, God did not choose a normal way to send our Saviour to the world!”

“No, that He didn’t.” (Shepherd Dave) “But I for one can’t just stand here looking any longer. The angels said this is great news, and they weren’t kidding. We have to tell somebody, anybody… Anyone who will listen! We have to tell them the Saviour’s been born!”

“You’re right…” (Shepherd Morgan) “But what about the sheep?”

“Leave them here” (Shepherd Thomas). “At least, for now. We have some good news to spread tonight. We can come back for them in the morning! Besides, I think they realize something special has happened too.”

What does Shepherd Thomas mean? Oh… Well, would you look at that? Everyone else has gathered around the manger. I think they’re waiting for me. So if you’ll excuse me…

…What are we going to do? What, did you think you humans are the only ones who can worship their Creator?  I know we’re just ordinary sheep, but the least we can do is sing Him a lullaby.
________________________

The thing that always gets me about the Christmas story is how everything is so ordinary and so extraordinary at the same time. God chose normal people to give birth to His Son. Jesus was born in a normal stable and met by normal shepherds. Jesus is anything but normal – He is the King of the universe! – but He came to earth in such a simple way. I like to think God did it this way so we could more easily relate to our Saviour.

But that’s the thing I hope we take away from today. Jesus makes ordinary things into something extraordinary! And that’s not just the case at Christmas. When we believe in Him, He takes our ordinary lives and makes them incredible. How? He gives us His Holy Spirit so we can do His work and love others like He does.

Jesus makes ordinary things into something extraordinary. He does it every single day, but it all started one night in a manger. So may we remember that extraordinary, ordinary night and celebrate our extraordinary King!

~Brentagious

No comments:

Post a Comment